OFFICE OF THE DVC, RISP
The establishment of the office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research, Innovation and Strategic Partnerships) was premised on the increasing need for the University of Ibadan to enhance its international profile and visibility, establish strategic partnerships with world-class institutions across the diverse sectors of society and innovatively seek new ways of enhancing its revenue generation capacity.
The role of the DVC (RISP) in the attainment of these goals is to assist the Vice-Chancellor to execute, in the most efficient manner, all activities that will potentiate the expected results. These activities are contained in the 2015-2020 UI Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan was aptly titled “Accelerated Development through Consolidation and Innovation”.
It is a fact that Universities exist to generate, advance and disseminate knowledge for the growth of the society. This is captured in the UI Vision “To be a world-class institution for academic excellence geared towards meeting societal needs”. There is no doubt that the University of Ibadan has a number of internationally excellent research strengths in diverse fields (Arts and Humanities, Medicine, Engineering, Agriculture, Forestry, Veterinary Medicine, Education etc).
The statutory functions of the office include:
- Facilitating and maintaining local and international linkage and exchange programmes;
- Evolve innovative need driven university-wide academic and research projects;
- Aggressive fund generation by attracting aids, grants, endowments, etc, and through the provision of the relevant services and products to the general public;
- Networking with relevant governmental, non-governmental and private-sector organisations;
- Cooperate with the alumni association to enhance the overall development of the university;
- Facilitate and exploit industrial relations between the university and the industrial sector; for the advantage of the university; and
- Perform other duties and assignments as may be delegated by the vice chancellor
Consequently the office of the DVC, RISP will focus on:
- Using the Institutional Repository as a positive marketing tool to enhance University of Ibadan’s global visibility for scholarly research: This also has domestic policy and investment influencing implication on account of increased accessibility to the evidence and analysis that UI scholars have produced.
- Ensuring that the University is projected outwards by developing new research partnerships and building strong relationships with policy makers, industry and funders: These I already started with the 2016 UI Research and Development Fair, which is scheduled to hold this year in partnership with The DAWN (Development Agenda for Western Nigeria) Commission, the dedicated technocratic institution for the sustainable development of the Southwest Region.
- Promote multi-, inter- and trans-disciplinary research collaborations across the University- As a follow up to 2016 UIRESDEV Fair; based on identified potential for collaborations; A trans-disciplinary workshop is in the planning stage, which will involve matching potential collaborators across disciplines who will be trained and tasked with coming up with fundable proposals. It is expected that such projects will promote creativity, innovation and enterprise.
- Refocusing research conceptualization- thereby achieving significant increase in research for quality, income and impact there by enabling translating research into cutting-edge education for students and wider economic and social benefits.
- Creating and enhancing strategic partnerships and collaborations in education, research and innovation – nationally, regionally, and internationally with opportunities for research, internships and shared learning for students and young academic. Fostering student mobility programmes; to undertake a period of study or work placement overseas during their time at UI
- Engaging with our alumni community: to support increased employment opportunities for our students and investment in research and the University of Ibadan. These can be achieved through home-coming programmes and job fairs.
- Disseminating research results strategically, pro-actively and effectively- Apart from publishing in scholarly journals, through Fairs, policy briefs, mass media, etc.